Since 2010, BTO and Sparebanken Vest have invited researchers to join the Idea Competition. The competition aims to stimulate commercialisation of research results, enhance the environment that contributes to innovation, and to create attention for the importance of research and innovation.
A combination of basic research and applied research
Bodil Holst won the Idea Competition in 2014. Her idea is to verify a new method for mask-based lithography.
– This project is a perfect example for how basic research and applied research goes hand in hand, and personally I think this is one of the best ideas I have ever had. I am grateful that others hold the same opinion, she said when she received the prize.
The jury stated that the idea could be a game-changer in the market if it succeeds.
Bodil received the award at the Bergen Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s annual conference in 2014. Her project got media attention, and the story was featured in Bergens Tidende (Bodils smykke kan gi it-revolusjon), På Høyden (De praktiske edelsteinene) and by the Norwegian Research Council (Fra smykkekurs til smart teknologi. «Årets forskningsidé» – mindre, mer, større og raskere).
One or several researchers (e.g. a group) can submit an idea. Researchers and staff, incl. phd. students and post.doc, at any of our owner and partner institutions can submit their idea. This includes University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, Institute of Marine Research, Bergen University College, NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Christian Michelsen Research, Haraldsplass Deaconess Hospital, NIFES, Nofima and Uni Research.
What’s in it for me?
You now have the opportunity to win the Idea Competition 2016. But why should you submit your idea today?
- You can win 300.000 NOK to further development of the idea.
- All ideas will get professional help from the BTO team to further development.
- Exciting opportunities that can walk hand-in-hand with your academic plans. You decide how much time and effort you will put into the development of the idea.
- You can get the opportunity to speak about your research in front of academic leaders, possible partners and investors at Bergen Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s annual conference on 18th of November
- Fill out the short idea description form according to the best of your knowledge.
- Send the form to email@example.com
Deadline: 17. October 2016
The jury consists of competent and experienced people from research, public and private sector in Bergen. They will select the winner based on novelty, impact on society, potential use and probability of success.
The winner(s) will be announced in front of prominent politicians, academics and business people at the annual conference of Bergen Chamber of Commerce and Industry on 18th of November. The best idea is awarded with 300.000 NOK to further development of the project.
The submitted ideas are treated with uttermost confidentiality, and the winning idea will only be described in general terms and in cooperation with the winner(s).