Research so far has comprised on food, feed and dietary supplement of Hydroxyproline in the fish farming industry. Research shows that adding hydroxyproline to diets high in plant protein sources increases weight of Atlantic salmon by 14 %. As the fish grows faster, the production time can be reduced. Research results also show that adding hydroxyproline to the feed increases muscle quality, strengthens the fish and causes fewer deformations in the bone structure.
Using fish feed added hydroxyproline enables increased use of vegetable products, which are cheaper than fish meal and more widely available. Fish skin and bones are also rich in this substance, which enables these residual raw materials to become a more valuable resource for the aquaculture industry in the future. Further, increased muscle firmness results in higher quality meat, which together with improved fish health may lead to increased earnings.
The documentation observed for fish makes it reasonable to believe that Hydroxyproline is beneficial in dietary supplements for animals and humans as well as improving/ healing certain conditions like osteoporosis, enteritis, osteoporosis, psoriasis, and treatment of wounds.
- Increased growth
– Increased muscle firmness
– Improved health
– Better quality meat
– Reduced production time
– May treat, ameliorate or cure certain disorders
– Enables use of more vegetable products
– Enables increased production and economic benefits!
The patent applications cover the use of Hydroxyproline in a wide range of pharmaceutical applications, for disease treatment, and in animal nutrition.Research shows novel applications of Hyp in the pharmaceutical industry, and the feed industries where growth and health is particularly relevant:
- Enables use of more vegetable products – cheaper than fish meal, found in unlimited quantities
– Makes the fish eat more and hence grow faster. Hyp-added feed may cause fewer deformations in bone structure.
– Enables increased muscle firmness, which results in higher quality meat.
– The bottom line: improved salmon production, hence better economy and increased earnings.
– Hyp strengthens bones and thus prevents bone-breaking (an ethical problem in poultry farming)
– Increased yield
- Dietary supplement might be beneficial for all tissues rich in Hyp, such as skin, bone and digestion. May improve or heal certain conditions.
Interested in this technology?
Bergen Teknologioverføring AS is seeking companies or partners interested in licensing a novel use of Hydroxyproline (Hyp) suitable for the pharmaceutical and feed industries. Research shows that the novel use of this amino acid promotes health and growth, and may treat, ameliorate or cure certain disorders. This enables increased production and economic benefits for the pharmaceutical and feed industry. Contact our business development manager here.